Kuusisto Manor House is known to have provided for the nearby Finland’s Catholic Bishop’s Castle since the beginning, from 1300s, and also after reformation for Turku Castle. It is though very likely that people have already practised agriculture in the area before written history. In year 1692 the manor was transfered to serve as residence for the colonnel of Turku infantry. Current manor building was finished in 1738 and is one of the oldest log houses in Finland. In year 1810 the manor was again transfered and became state’s residence for high regional officials and tenants.
The Manor was passed on via various phases to Finnish National Board of Antiquities in 1978 and it was restaured to host a culture historical museum. Finnish National Board of Antiquities closed the museum in 2012 and researcher/artist Merja Markkula started negotiations to start a private art gallery, Kuusisto Art Manor, in the premises. The purpose was to exhibit contemporary art in a valuable culture historical building and milieu and rich nature. The ownership of Kuusisto historical area was divided in 2014, when the Manor and fruit garden were transfered to Senate Properties for property adminstration and Kappelinmäki nature protection area and Bishop’s castle ruins were transfered to Metsähallitus (Administration for state-owned forest and water). Finnish National Board of Antiquities is still tenant of the manor house and is responsible for cultural heritage preservation there.
Today Taidekartano ry – Kuusisto Art Manor association- rents the Manor House from Finnish National Board of Antiquities for summer exhibitions.